If you are a baby boomer, TV shows such as Andy Griffith were part of your formative years. I remember watching his show on Sunday afternoons while he played his guitar on the front porch, drinking tea and munching on the delicious food that Aunt Bea cooked. Today, we hardly have front porches and just the thought of relaxing for an entire day seems like a fairy tale.
I am as guilty as anyone for participating in the fast paced, “get ahead” lifestyle that today’s world has created. Recently, I had a wake-up call when a man I knew in his late 30’s suddenly passed away of a heart attack. I thought to myself, “What did he do his last day here on earth?” Did he worry about tomorrow, money or how things were going to turn out? Regardless of how hard we try or what we are able to accumulate in life, none of us are getting out of here alive. We came with nothing and will leave the same way when our time comes. Part of “reshaping” your life is learning how to find inner peace. The last foundational decision of my book, Finish Strong, is based on “Embracing Grace” that leads to ultimate peace, forgiveness and comfort in your life. Life is far too short to never enjoy those things that we are working so diligently to have or even keep. Sacrificing our health, relationships and peace of mind by spending money we don’t have, on things we don’t want, to impress people we don’t like…well, it just isn’t worth it in the long run. People will literally put their bodies at jeopardy in pursuit of wealth and be willing to give it all back if faced with a life or death health decision.
Below are some brief points to assist you in reshaping this important part of your life. As you read each one, ask yourself if it applies to your life. (I will confess, I have been guilty of each one of them.) If so, write them down and begin to make a conscious effort to pursue mental, physical and spiritual peace. In doing so, you will be surprised at how much more enjoyable this journey called life will be.
1. Remember where peace comes from– Peace doesn’t come from more wealth, more work, faster pace or more stuff. Peace comes from within from an acceptance of God’s love. Grace is a gift, not something you can purchase. You wouldn’t have near enough money if it were for sale anyway.
2. Enjoy the moment– Time is our most precious asset. You can’t buy it, but you can rent it and once it is gone you can’t ever get it back. I can’t begin to tell you how many times we sit down as a family to watch a movie together and everyone in the room is on their phones looking at something else…another video or a post. Living in the moment is embracing this minute for all it has to offer. Every minute we are living a memory. Making those memories count is our decision. When you are with those you love, eating dinner, vacationing or just relaxing, why spend time posting that moment on social media as opposed to etching it in your own mind and soul? We spend too much time trying to show the world our lives instead of living them. Try and put down the phone and enjoy that moment. You never know when it may be your last.
3. Limit your work– We were never meant to work 10-hour days, 7 days per week. Everyone needs a day of rest. A day that you shut down the electronic devices and just relax. Even God Himself rested. The plan has always been to have a day of rest, one that recharges your batteries, clears your head and energizes your body. Take one day per week and just enjoy those things that matter.
4. Adjust your values– Values determine goals and goals determine your destiny. Adjust your values to reveal what is most important in your life.
5. Exchange your restlessness for God’s peace– Restlessness is created by stress and worry. I know how stress feels, I have certainly had my share of it. I also know what it is like to worry. Worry, however, doesn’t bring you one step closer to a resolution. As a matter of fact, it only adds to the problem. Peace comes with favor. Favor produces blessings and blessings bring joy and fulfillment. I can’t speak for you but having God’s favor on my life is something I want 24/7.
If you are struggling with a spirit of confusion and worry, I pray you find the inner peace that allows you to rest. You were meant to experience joy and abundance in your life. Embrace the gift of grace and allow the peace and favor to cover your life.
To order our new book, FINISH STRONG or learn more about our products and services, visit store.