Health care has often been confused with sickness care. The fact is, most people only go to the doctor when they are sick. Few, if any, are concerned with ways of staying healthy and preventing disease from occurring in the first place. History has revealed to us that prevention is the only true way to fight disease and live a long, healthy life. So how do we do that? As a doctor and advocate of preventative health care, I am passionate about people learning the truth about health. Helplessly experiencing the death of many loved ones including my father and brother from the grips of terminal cancer wasn’t easy. Soon thereafter I realized that practicing prevention was the only true way to stack the odds of living a long and healthy life in our favor. These “10 Simple Steps to Better Health”, if made part of your health regimen, may increase your chances of attaining and maintaining a healthier, more active lifestyle. 1
1. Reduce/Eliminate Junk and Fast Food, Fried Foods, Starches and Sugars. Gluten enriched whole wheat and multi-grain can be just as bad if you eat too much. It will still act like a simple starch, so reduce your intake of bread, pasta and cereal. Get more of your complex carbs from fruits and vegetables and less from grains.
2. Reduce/Eliminate soft drinks, juices, sports drinks and milk/dairy products. Drink a minimum of 6-8 eight-ounce glasses of pure water each day beginning when you first awaken. The importance of drinking enough water can’t be over emphasized. That doesn’t include sugar filled flavored waters or other substitutes. Just pure water the way nature intended.
3. Consume a minimum 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables daily. (A serving is equal to one-half cup) Always include melon and berries in the fruit category. Fresh is better. Choose a variety, don’t just eat all servings of the same thing. 2
4. Eat a healthy breakfast. Steel cuts oats with nuts/cinnamon/fruit/honey, etc., melons, berries, omega-3 enriched eggs, raw nut butters (almond and cashew) with apples, etc.
5. Choose healthier sources of fat and protein such as avocado’s, nuts/nut butters and, unless you are a vegetarian, consume more fish and less red meat. Studies have indicated that consuming one avocado per day can significantly improve your cholesterol, heart and brain health.
6. Eat small meals throughout the day as opposed to eating 1-3 large meals.
7. Obtain a minimum of 6-8 hours sleep per night.
8. Consume 20-35 grams of fiber per day and Omega-3 Fish Oil / Omega-3 Fatty Acids as part of your daily diet. Use supplements to ensure proper nutritional intake when necessary. 2
9. Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes per day, 3-5x per week. Brisk walking is one of the most under rated and best exercises you can do for your joints, cardiovascular system and overall health. Incorporate resistance training (weights, machines, etc.) into your weekly regimen to maintain general muscle tone and strength. Always integrate proper stretching before and after exercise to help prevent soft tissue injuries.
10. Incorporate chiropractic care and acupuncture into your overall wellness regimen as a natural means to improve your odds of enjoying a healthier, more active lifestyle.
1Always consult your health care provider before implementing any exercise program or change in your diet.
2Visit http://dallashumble.juiceplus.com for more information on recommendations to supplement your diet with quality whole food nutrition.